Environmental Health


Environmental Health Department

Environmental Health Department ServicesF.A.Q.sDrinking WaterMoldResources for Farmer's MarketsOn-Site WastewaterSewage Permits

Environmental Health Department Services

The Environmental Health Department
Provides Services in The Following Areas  

Licensed Group Child Care Homes         Family Day Care Facilities

License-Exempt Child Care Facilities        Licensed Child Care Centers

Food Complaints     Food Protection   Routine Sanitation Inspections

        Sanitation Complaints      Environmental Complaints

Issuance of On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permits

Mineral Content            Coliform Bacteria           E. coli Bacteria

Sanitation Inspections     Environmental complaints

Environmental Health Education      Food Protection Education

On-Site Waste Treatment Systems

ServSafe Classes & Food Safety Classes

Frequently Asked Questions

Food Establishments

 1. Do I need a permit from the health department before I can open my restaurant?
 NO. St.Francois County does not currently require the issuance of a permit from the health department.  However, a pre-opening inspection to review your facility is highly recommended.  You can avoid many unforeseen problems and expenses by contacting SFCHC before you open your restaurant.

2. Does SFCHC provide “ServSafe” food training for restaurant owners, managers, and employees?
 Our EPHS staff have been certified by the National Restaurant Association so that we may offer these courses to the public.  Courses are in the planning stages.  As soon as we have a ServSafe schedule we will post it on our website bulletin board and education/training pages.

3. What kind of grading system is used for restaurants?  When they are inspected, do they receive an A,B,C or is it A, AA, AAA; what?
 St.Francois County Health Center does not currently give a alphabetic or numeric rating to a restaurant after it is inspected.  However, you should look for a blue and white placard with the St.Francois County Health Center logo on it posted somewhere within the facility.  This indicates that this restaurant is inspected by us.  If you do not see the placard, ask for it…

On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems

1. We just bought a 2 acre lot in St.Francois County.  We are going to build a new home there.  Do we need a permit for our septic system?
 YES.  A single family dwelling on less than 3 acres requires a septic system permit.

2. Where can I get a sewage system permit?
 All applications for sewage permits (on-site waste treatment systems) must be processed through the St.Francois County Health Center.  Call the Environmental Health Department at 573-431-1947 and press 5 at the prompt. 

3. What is the difference between a sewage permit and an sewage permit application?
 The on-site sewage waste treatment system (septic system) permit application must be completed before an on-site waste treatment system (septic system) permit can be issued to the land owner.

4. What is involved in completing an on-site waste treatment system application for permit?
 Completion of the permit application involves several steps.  In general it would involve:

a) Pick up an on-site waste treatment system permit application from SFCHC.
b) Submit a $90.00 application fee to the MO Department of Health & Senior Services.
c) A soil scientist would complete a soil morphology for your building site.
d) A determination is made, based upon the soil morphology, as to whether a conventional septic system or an engineered septic system is suitable for your building site.
e) Submit a set of building plans for your on-site waste treatment system to the SFCHC for review.
f) A pre-installation site vist to your construction site from SFCHC’s Environmental Health Department and your installer to determine/record the layout for your septic system.
) Issuance of a on-site waste treatment system permit.
h) An installer would install your on-site waste treatment system.
i) A final inspection of your on-site waste treatment system installation by the SFCHC’s Environemental Health Department is conducted with your installer.

5.  A  utility truck drove over my drainfield during the last ice storm and broke one of my drainfield pipes.  Do I need a permit to repair my septic system?
 NO.  This would be considered a ‘minor’ repair.  An on-site sewage waste treatment system permit is not required for minor repairs to a septic system.

6. My neighbor’s sewage system runs out into a ditch by the road.  Is that legal?
 NO.  All effluent generated from a private residence which is not on a county or city septic system, must be directed into a septic tank.

7.  Water from my cloths washer, bathroom shower and sink, and kitchen sink are all tied together.  They don’t empty into my septic tank.  This water goes through a pipe and eventually empties into a field.  My neighbor told me that I can’t do that.  Is he right?
 YES.  All waste water, whether it is from a graywater source, such as cloth washer and kitchen sink, etc., or from a toilet must be directed into the septic tank.

8. Do I need a permit to install an on-site septic system?
 A permit is required for the installation of an on-site septic system on any residential property less than three acres.

9. I am going to replace my old septic tank.  Do I need a sewage permit?
 Yes.  This would be considered a major repair.  You would have to complete an Onsite Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit.  Refer to question 4, above, for an overview of the permit process.

10. My neighbors are moving a house trailer onto a 1/2 acre lot next to my property.  They said they were going to put a holding tank in the ground.  Can they do that?
 NO.  Your neighbors are required by law to contact SFCHC and complete an On-site Waste Treatment System Construction Permit application. Refer to question number 4 (above) for an outline of the permit process.

11. My wife and I really like to sit on our back deck and watch the sun set, but the smell from my neighbor’s septic tank is so bad that it is almost unbearable.  I have talked to my neighbor about fixing the septic tank, but he doesn’t own the house; it’s a rental.  What can I do?
 Call the St.Francois County Health Center’s Environmental Health Department and file a complaint.  Since the occupants of the home are renting, you will need to supply the name of the land owner of record and the physical address (usually the mailing address) of the home.

12. What constitutes a “major repair” or “major modification” of an on-site wastewater treatment system?
The major modification or major repair is defined as the redesigning and alteration of an on-site sewage system by relocation of the system or a part of the system, replacement of the septic tank or construction of a new absorption field.  If you are uncertain as to whether what repair(s) or renovation(s) you plan for your onsite system meets this definition, call the St.Francois County Health Center’s Environmental Health Department for clarification.

Child Care Facilities

1. What is the difference between a child care facility and a day care facility?
 In most instances, whenever someone is speaking about a “day care” they are probably referring to to a child care facility.

2. How do I know if the day care I choose for my daughter is inspected by the health department?
 All day cares in St.Francois County are inspected annually by the SFCHC.

3. How often does the health department inspect a day care?
 Day cares are inspected annually (once a year) by the St.Francois County Health Center.  Whenever a facility’s license is to be renewed, an inspection of the facility is conducted?  Both licensed and license-exempt facilities are required to have regular fire, sanitation and health inspections. In addition, licensed facilities have additional compliance monitoring inspections each year.

4. What kind of rating does a day care receive after it is inspected?  I don’t want to send my children to a day care with a low rating.
 Day cares in Missouri do not receive a “rating” based upon their inspection by the local public health agency (St.Francois County Health Center).  If a child care facility is noted with any violations during an inspection, the violations must be corrected.  It is simply a matter of 100% compliance.

5. How do I know if my son’s day care has passed it’s inspection by the health department?
 If child day cares in Missouri do not meet 100% compliance, they do not receive their license.

Lodging Establishments

Many hotels offer a buffet or continental breakfast.  Are the kitchens of the hotel that provide the breakfast inspected by the health department or are they exempt because they are not classified as a “food establishment”?
 If a hotel, motel or lodging facility,having 5 or more guest rooms, offers food to the public, it’s kitchen, food prep, food storage, and food service areas will be inspected by the SFCHC.

My wife and I plan to stay at a Bed & Breakfast in St.Francois County for a get-away-weekend.  Are bed & breakfast establishments inspected by the local health department or does the State inspect them?
SFCHC inspects all lodging establishments within St.Francois County, MO where five or more quest rooms are provided.  If the bed & breakfast you plan to stay at has four rooms or less, no.  If the bed & breakfast has five or more rooms, yes.

How often does a lodging establishment have to renew its license?
 The licensing year begins October 1st and ends September 30th.  Prior to license renewal, an inspection of the lodging facility must be completed.

Environmental Issues and Complaints

1. If I file a nuisance complaint, how long will it be before you investigate it?
 Complaints that involve only nuisance conditions involving public health issues will be investigated within fifteen (15) working days, provided environmental health staff are available.  If environmental health staff are unavailable , complaints will be investigated as expediently as possible.

2. I believe I have mold growing in my house/apartment/trailer.  Can the Health Department come out and take a sample and send it to the lab for analysis?
 No. The SFCHC cannot take mold samples and submit them to the State lab for analysis.  However, there are local businesses that do mold inspections.  You can locate these firms in the telephone book or on the internet.

3.  I have mold growing in our rental home.  I have contacted my landlord about the problem.  He refuses to do anything about it.  Can I file a complaint with the health department and make him clean up the mold?
 This is considered to be a “Landlord-Tenant” issue.  All “Landlord – Tenant” issues should be directed to the City administration or the County administration in which the home is located.  Many cities have ordances which address landlord-tenant issues such a living conditions.  As a tenant you may also contact the Missouri State Attorney General’s Office and file a complaint.  The telephone number for the Missouri Attorney General Office is (573) 751-3321.  *To review the Landlord/Tenant Law on the internet, go to this web site:www.ago.mo.gov/publications/landlordtenant.pdf .

4. The house next to mine has water from the clothes washer running out into a ditch by the road.  It sometimes overflows into my fence row and is killing my Cedar trees.  Can they do that?  I thought the law changed and all that stuff had to go into a septic tank.
 Your neighbors cannot allow the waste water from their clothes washing machine (often called gray water) to flow out onto the ground.  Any effluent must be directed into their septic tank or septic system and maintained on their property.

5. I have several old thermometers which have mercury in them which no longer work.  Can I dispose of them in trash that is going to a land fill or must I dispose of them in some special way?
It is highly recommended that any private citizen or not-for-profit agency having mercury-containing instruments, like thermometers, blood pressure cuffs, thermostats or switches, at a collection event or a permanent collection site.  Go to the MO Department of Natural Resources here to find event locations and permanent collection sites.  For more information, contact the Solid Waste Management Program at 573-751-5401.

6. I just purchased a home with a basement and I would like to have it tested for Radon.  Does St.Francois County Health Center do Radon tests?
No.  SFCHC does not do Radon tests.  You can log on to the MO DHSS website and register to receive a short-term radon test kit.  These test kits are provided to Missouri residents at no cost.  You may call the Environmental Health Department at SFCHC at 431-1947 and request an informational package be mailed to your home or come into SFCHC and pick up an informational package.   For information concerning Radon and indoor air quality, you may also go to the EPA’s website here.

Food Complaints

 1. After eating at restaurant ‘x’, I became ill the next day.  Should I report that to the health department?
  Yes. If you believe you became ill from something that you ate at the restaurant, the health department will investigate it as long as you file a complaint with SFCHC.

2.  Do I have to give my name whenever I file a complaint against a restaurant?
 NO. You may remain anonymous.    However, if you do not give your name, SFCHC would not know who to inform of the results of our investigation.

3.  If I file a complaint at SFCHC, does my name remain confidential?  You know; sort of like a doctor/patient privilage?
 NO. If you give your name, it is part of the permanent file.  It is public record.  Someone wishing to view the complaint would have to come in to SFCHC and sign a request to view the complaint.  Your name does not appear on the section of the complaint form that the person or business you complain about would have access to during the course of the investigation.

4. Can I call the health department to find out what the results of my complaint are?
 NO.  We cannot give that type of information over the telephone.  You can come to the health department and sign a “request to view” form.  You may view the results of the complaint investigation at that time.

5. I’m not sure if I should call with this complaint or not. Will you follow up on my complaint?
 If you file a complaint with the St.Francois County Health Department, it will be investigated.  Complaints submitted to this office that involve an imminent health hazard will be investigated upon receipt of the complaint.  Those complaints exhibiting a potential health hazard will be investigated within five (5) working days of receipt.

Private Water Supplies & Wells

1. Who do I contact to have my well water tested?
 Contact St.Francois County Health Center, Environmental Health Department at 431-1947, ext. 5 or you can contact a private laboratory.  Water samples must be submitted from a source that is used for human consumption and is a public health concern.

2. What do you test for whenever you test a water sample from a well?
 Typically, the water sample is tested for E. coli bacteria (Escherichia coli) and the coliform group of bacteria.  When found in drinking water, E. coli indicates the water has been contaminated with human or animal wastes.

3. Can I bring in a water sample from my well to the health department and have it tested for bacteria?
 DO NOT bring well water samples into SFCHC in your own container.  Once you obtain a‘water sample kit‘ from SFCHC, you can take your own water sample from your well.  The ‘kit’ contains written directions (with diagrams) on how to obtain the water sample, where is the best place to draw the water sample from, an information/data page to be completed by the homeowner, a mailing label and the box to mail you water to the lab in.  You may drop off your water sample at SFCHC Monday through Wednesday from 8:00 am until 12:00 Noon.  A $10.00 fee is charged by the lab for the tests.  You do not pay the lab fee until you get your lab results for the tests.

Landlord Tenant Issues/su_heading]

 Missouri’s Landlord-Tenant Law provides for the rights & responsibilities of landlords and tenants.  If you have questins regarding your rights as a tenant or as a landlord, you should contact the Office of Attorney General, Chris Koster.  P.O. Box 899, Jefferson City, MO 65102.  The telephone number for the Attorney General’s Office is 573.751.3321.

A brochure concerning Missouri’s Landlord-Tenant Law is available in the Vital Records department of SFCHC.  You may find this and other brochures online @ www.ago.mo.gov or call the Consumer Protection Hotline: 800.392.8222.

Drinking Water

The purpose of this program is to prevent water-borne illnesses in drinking water supplies by providing technical assistance to the public in the collection of water samples, water treatment systems, disinfection of water supplies, and well installation. This program addresses private water supplies and water supplies that serve food, child care, and commercial lodging establishments.

Bacteriological Analysis

Private drinking water sample kits for bacteriological testing may be picked up at the St. Francois County Health Center. The kits include a sample collection bottle, paperwork to complete upon collection of the sample, instructions on collecting the water sample and a mailing label with the address of the state public health laboratory. Once the sample is collected, it should be returned within 24 hours to the health center by 10:00 am Monday through Thursday. Alternatively, the sample may be mailed to the Missouri State Public Health Laboratory at the address listed on the mailing label included in the kit. There is a $10.00 fee assessed upon completion of the test.

If your water sample is returned showing the presence of “total coliform” or E. coli, use this link for explanation:
Explanation of Total Coliform and E. coli Bacteria Results in Drinking Water

The following link explains what to do if your water is reported as unsatisfactory for drinking:
What to Do if Your Water Is Reported Unsatisfactory for Drinking

To learn how to disinfect your well, follow the directions on this form:
 Directions for disinfecting a well or cistern

If your well has been subjected to flood or storm water, use the following link for disinfection information:

Chemical Water Quality

Water samples from private water supplies and those supplies serving food, child care, and commercial lodging establishments for chemical analysis may be collected by representatives of this office when there is a risk to public health or when other circumstances indicate. Water samples may also be collected for mineral/chemical analysis by a private laboratory for a fee. A list of certified laboratories may be found at here. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established and maintains a list of drinking water contaminants and a corresponding Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL). The list is divided into primary and secondary standards. The primary standards include contaminants with substantial public health risks; these maximum contaminant levels are enforceable standards that apply to public drinking water systems. Secondary standards are non-enforceable guidelines that regulate contaminants that may have adverse cosmetic or aesthetic effects. EPA recommends compliance with both sets of standards, but only enforces the primary standards. Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MO DNR) and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MO DHSS) utilize EPA’s maximum contaminant levels as well as risk assessments to evaluate drinking water risks to individuals and the public. MO DHSS-regulated facilities that operate public or private drinking water sources that exceed EPA’s primary drinking water Maximum Contaminate Levels are required to take appropriate actions in order to meet EPA standards. For information regarding chemical water quality, please go to this website here.

Private Well Construction

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources Division of Geology and Land Survey Wellhead Protection Section regulates the construction of private water wells (this includes domestic and multiple family class wells), irrigation wells, monitoring wells and heat pump wells. Technical assistance and information regarding well construction and well and pump installation contractors may be obtained by going to this website here.

Please contact the Environmental Health Section of the St. Francois County Health Center if you have any questions concerning your private water supply, water quality or procedures for the disinfection of your water supply at (573-431-1947 ext. 121).

Mold and Indoor Air Quality

  • Indoor Air Quality In Residential Buildings
  • Indoor Air Quality In School Buildings
  • Indoor Air Quality In Commercial Buildings

When considering indoor environments, mold(s) are unwelcome guests.  They
can cause a variety of problems both to physical structures (walls, siding,
floors, carpeting, wood trim, etc) and to human health (produce allergins,
toxic substances, or cause infections.

Although mold has become a major source of worry related to health in the
indoor environment, molds are actually an important part of the natural community. Mold(s) have been around for a very long time. Classified as part
of the kingdom fungi, (being neither plant nor animal but a little of both) fulfill their role in nature as that of decomposer.  Mold function in the breaking down
of dead organic matter such as fallen trees and dead leaves. There are literally thousands of types (species) of molds.  Molds are present everywhere. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores.  In order for mold spores to grow,they need moisture, food (organic materials such as paper, wood, cellulose, etc.) and oxygen.  Deprive mold of any one of these three components, you successfully stop mold from growing. Of the three components necessary for growth, the easiest one to control is ‘moisture’.  “Control the moisture; control the mold!”  You can kill the mold over and over again.  As long as there is available moisture, the mold will return and grow and grow and .  .  .

Remediation Guidelines

Immediate Action:  Follow These Steps.

    1. Stop the moisture!  Fix any water leaks (including
      plumbing leaks) which would allow moisture to enter
      the facility and support mold growth.
    2. Dry out all materials that are porous (materials
      which would hold moisture such as carpet, sheetrock,
      wood flooring, wood trim, ceiling tiles, etc.) as quickly
      as possible.  The longer the mold is allowed to grow,
      the more spores it may produce.  The spores may spread
      the mold to other locations within the home.
    3. IF . . .
       . . . you cannot dry the materials out completely,
      you should discard them as mold will grow in
      the pores of the material.

       . . . the damage occured during a flood or a sewer
      backup, disinfect by spraying or wiping the area
      with a mixture of bleach and water.  Mix 1 part
      bleach to 10 parts water.

       . . . disinfection is not possible, the materials should
      be discarded.

    4. It is important to limit your exposure and the exposure
      of others to the mold as you try to clean it up.  The spores
      that are produced by many types of mold cause illness in
      humans ranging from mild headaches to allergic reactions
      to more serious conditions.
      • Wear a respirator or mask to limit your exposure
        to airborne mold.  A N-95 respirator is available
        at hardware stores, lumber yards and on the internet.
      • Wear rubber or latex gloves to protect your hands
        and arms.  Avoid touching mold or “moldy stuff”
        with your bare hands.  You may transfer the mold
        spores to your skin, clothing or other areas within
        the home.
      • Wear goggles (without air vents) to protect your
        eyes.  Avoid getting mold spores in your eyes.
        Avoid rubbing your eyes with gloved hands used
        for mold clean up.
    5. Scrub the surface with a mild detergent and water
      mixture to remove the mold.
    6. Dry the surface completely before trying to paint,
      stain or caulk.
    7. Do not try painting or caulking moldy surfaces as the
      mold will grow through the paint and caulk
    8. If you cannot remove the mold completely or dry out
      the material(s) completely, you should consider
      discarding them and replacing them with new material(s).

If the mold clean-up project is larger than you are willing to tackle,
contact a professional to clean up the mold.
Consult your telephone directory or search on-line.

Resources for Farmer’s Markets – Click on the Links Below

Meat and Poultry Products
     United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
                   785-841-5600 –  USDA
     Missouri Department of Agriculture
                   573-751-4762  – MDA
Milk or Other Dairy Processes
     Missouri State Milk Board
                   573-751-3830 – MDA/Milk/Dairy
Seafood (freshwater or saltwater)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), 8882 723-3366 –  US FDA
Agricultural Products
Missouri Department of Agriculture, 573-731-4762  –  MDA
Acidified Foods
Missouri Department of Health and Senior services,
573-751-6095  –  Missouri Department of Health
Ice Cream
Missouri Department of Health and Senior services,
573-751-6095  –  Missouri Department of Health
DHSS Brochures
 • Jams/Jellies/Honey and Baked Goods
 • Salsa and other Acidified Foods
 • Guidelines for Temporary Food Events
 • Food Processing

On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems

The St. Francois County Health Center administers the on-site sewage program through a contractual agreement with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MO DHSS).  This program regulates the operation, maintenance, installation and major repairs and modifications of on-site wastewater treatment systems (OWTS) according to 701.025-.059 RSMo and 19 CSR 20-3.060 “Minimum Construction Standards for On-Site Sewage Disposal Systems”. The law and the minimum construction standards have been in effect since January 1, 1996.

 To view the rules and guidelines for OWTS, on-site waste treatment systems, click the OWTS, green book cover.

Activities conducted by the SFCHC Environmental Health Department:
(include, but are not limited to)

  1. Issue and accept Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MO DHSS) On-Site Sewage Disposal System Construction Permit Applications.
  2. Review permit applications for completeness, accuracy and compliance with Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services requirements.  Construction permit applications requesting variances will be submitted to the MO DHSS, Bureau of Environmental Health Services, for a final determination of compliance with state construction standards. Conventional and alternative on-site wastewater treatment system design plans, where technical assistance is needed, will be forwarded to the MO DHSS, Bureau of Environmental Health Services, for review to determine compliance with state construction standards.
  3. Conduct evaluations of all proposed sites to determine suitability for the installation of on-site wastewater treatment systems.
  4. Provide technical assistance to property owners, installers and other persons when requested. Technical assistance may include the review of soil evaluation data, recommendation of on-site wastewater treatment system technologies and system location.
  5. Issue MO DHSS Construction Permits for on-site wastewater treatment systems. Click on the ‘Permit Process’ tab to view the application process for on-site sewage systems permits.Generally, a permit must be obtained before starting construction or repair work. However, certain residential properties may be exempt from state permitting requirements.  To determine if your on-site waste treatment system is exempt, contact the St. Francois County Health Center, Environmental Health Department at 573-431-1947, ext 8, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM.
  6. Conduct final inspections of on-site wastewater treatment system installations at the frequency required under 701.043.3 RSMo.
  7. Complete a final inspection report and notify permit applicant of the installation results.
  8. Investigate illegal on-site wastewater treatment system installations and issue Notices of Violation when warranted.
  9. Investigate complaints of malfunctioning on-site wastewater treatment systems and issue Notices of Violation when warranted.
  10. Refer unresolved on-site sewage Notices of Violation to the office of the St. Francois County Prosecuting Attorney, requesting enforcement action when warranted.

For information regarding on-site sewage systems click on these links.

Environmental Health Operational Guidelines

On-site Sewage Laws and Rules


Call these telephone numbers:

Onsite Sewage Program at the DHSS, Jefferson City, MO: 573-751-6095

St. Francois County Health Center, Park Hills, MO: 573-431-1947, ext. 8

*For information on becoming a Registered Installer with the
Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, click here

The St. Francois County Health Center does NOT administer public sewage programs.  Public sewage programs are under the authority of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR).  Residential housing development’s sewage systems are under the authority of DNR.

If you have any questions concerning a subdivision’s method of wastewater treatment or the status of wastewater facilities serving a business or development (restaurants, hotels, motels, RV parks, etc.), the Department of Natural Resources has a website portal which contains the permit status for wastewater treatment systems which are not under the authority of the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services:
Go to the MO DNR home page @ www.dnr.mo.gov
Click the ‘Online Services’ tab [takes you to the Online Services-Data Submission page] Click the ‘Searchable Databases Index” [takes you to the Data Query page] Scroll down the page to ‘ Water Protection’
Beneath water protection, find ‘Clean Water Information System’
Beneath clean water information system, click ‘Effective & Expired Permit Search’
You can search by:     permit number     owner’s name      facility address
permit type          facility’s name    city
legal description   region                 Zip code
county                  …or any combination of these parameters

On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Permit Application

Two ways to obtain an “On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application:
1. In Person by stopping by the St. Francois County Health Center, Environmental HealthDepartment, located at 1025 West Main Street Park Hills, MO. Office hours are from 8:00am until  4:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
2. By contacting the St. Francois County Health Center by telephone at (573) 431-1947 ext. 8

You will have to bring a copy of the completed application to the Environmental Health Office at the St. Francois County Health Center as part of your “On-Site Sewage System Construction Permit Application” process.  Each application must receive an application number before it is submitted to the MO Department of Health and Senior Services (MODHSS).  Without an application number, the application will not be processed by the MODHSS or St. Francois County Health Center.

An  application fee of $90.00 and a completed MO 580-2064 form [On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application Fee] must be submitted to the MODHSS.  By submitting your $90.00 application fee, the State issues a permit number.  That permit number is forwarded to the St. Francois County Health Center.  The permit number is added to your construction permit application and becomes part of your permanent record.  Please note: without the $90.00 fee and permit application fee form, your on-site waste treatment system construction permit application will not be processed by the State or St. Francois County Health Center.

NOTICE:  You must submit your On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application to the St.Francois County Health Center for processing.  Under NO circumstances are you to submit the application to the MODHSS.   Your application will not be processed by DHSS.  Your application must be processed by the St.Francois County Health Center.

The Permit Process

  1. Obtain an On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application packet from the St. Francois County Health Center.  Included within the application packet:
    A. On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application Form
    B. An On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application Fee Form
  2. Once obtained, the On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Construction Permit Application Fee Form must be completed and the $90.00 permit fee must be sent to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MO DHSS) at the address listed on the permit application fee form.  Once received and processed by the MO DHSS, a construction permit number will then be issued and returned to the St. Francois County Health Center.
    The permit number is then maintained on file until a proposed on-site waste water treatment system (OWTS) design is submitted to the St. Francois County Health Center and found to comply with the minimum state construction standards. The permit number is valid for a period of one
    year.  Please be advised, this is NOT considered issuance of the construction permit!
  3. Retain the services of a Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services registered soil evaluator to perform a soil morphology on your property to determine the suitability of the site for an on-site wastewater treatment system.  Please be advised the soil evaluation MUST be performed in the immediate area where the OWTS is to be installed. To obtain a list of registered soil scientist, click here
  4. Based upon the results of the soil morphology, the soil scientist would determine if a conventional on-site wastewater treatment system or an engineered septic system is required for your property. If a conventional on-site wastewater treatment system is suitable for your site, please go to step  6.
  5. IF a conventional septic system is NOT suitable for your site, an engineered septic system is required. Retain the services of an engineer to design a septic system for your site. The alternative septic system would be designed, specifically for the property, based upon the findings of the soil scientist. *St. Francois County Health Center and the MO Department of Health & Senior Services do not maintain listings of engineers.  Your local telephone directory or on-line searches may be valuable tools to use in locating an engineer to design your septic system.
  6. Retain the services of an on-site waste treatment system installer who is registered with the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services for the installation of your septic system. To obtain a list of registered installers, click here
  7. Site conditions and soils condition vary depending upon which part of the county you are located in.  It is sometimes necessary to request a variance(s) for site conditions to ensure  your on-site waste treatment system will “fit” on the site and prevent the contamination of well water, surface water, streams, or subsurface water. Variance forms are available at SFCHC.
  8. Submit the completed and signed construction permit application, soil morphology report, and the proposed on-site septic system design to the SFCHC for review.  The application, soil morphology report, and proposed design will be reviewed by a SFCHC Environmental Public Health Specialist to determine if the proposed system is in accordance with 19CSR20-3.060, “Minimum Construction Standards for On-Site Sewage Disposal Systems.”
  9. Following the approval of the system plans, but prior to the issuance of a construction permit, a SFCHC Environmental Public Health Specialist will conduct an on-site preconstruction inspection.  You, or your representative, and the contractor (installer) are required to be present to review the septic system layout on the site.
  10. Provided the preconstruction site inspection determines the septic system and the layout comply with the approved application, a permit will be issued and the construction phase may begin.

NOTICE: The construction phase of your on-site waste treatment system MAY NOT begin until a valid construction permit has been issued by SFCHC.

  1. Notice of completion of the septic system installation is required.  The registered installer must notify the SFCHC prior to 9:00 am on the day preceding completion of the septic system.  The septic system must be maintained in a condition which allows for a complete inspection until 3:00 pm on the day of completion, unless notified otherwise by the SFCHC.
  2. Either a SFCHC Environmental Public Health Specialist will conduct a site visit to perform a final inspection or a Certification Of System Without On-Site Inspection form will be issued to the registered installer to complete and submit to SFCHC.  The registered installer certifies that “I have properly designed, installed, modified or repaired the onsite sewage system represented by application #___ and permit #___ pursuant to and in accordance with the state standard.”
  3. Once all forms, diagrams, system designs, inspections, and certifications have been completed, the On-Site Sewage Permit Application and all of its associated paper work will be kept on file at the SFCHC.  Process complete.